Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

How-To: Cook Rice

So...maybe I am the only person who has issues with rice cooking. I know I've mentioned it before. We don't eat rice enough to justify a rice cooker taking up space in our *TINY* kitchen so I have to do it the old fashioned way which can easily yield gummy, gooey rice paste....until now. A friend of mine used to work at an Asian restaurant and one of the chefs shared this secret with her and it has yet to fail me. So far I've used it with several different types of white rice and always had great success. Here are a few tips on how to get perfect, fluffy, non-sticky rice every time:

1. Cooked rice is double what uncooked rice is. So, 1 cup of uncooked rice will turn into 2 cups cooked.

2. It's generally safe to plan on a 1/2 cup of rice per person if the rice is a side dish or something is being served over it.

3. Some people rinse their rice, others don't. Rinsing removes some of the starch and lessens the chance of it becoming gummy but it also rinses out some of the nutrients. My method of rice cooking doesn't require that your rinse it, so I don't.

4. NOW FOR THE TRICK. Stick your pinky finger out in front of you. Do it now. I'll wait. Okay. See where your first joint is from the tip of your pinky? That's your measuring device. Measure your desired amount of rice in a sauce pan then fill the pan with water until you can stick your pinky in and touch the top of the rice and the water reaches the first joint. To ensure non-sticky rice you can put a splash of vinegar in.

5. Put on the stove top and heat on high until the water starts to boil. Then, and this is important! Stir the rice just once or twice. Not stirring it will cause a layer of rice to stick to the pan's bottom and scorch. Stirring too much will cause gummy rice. Once or twice. Done.

6. Cover, reduce heat to low and let it simmer for 15 minutes. DO NOT TOUCH. After 15 minutes, check on it, if there is still water in the rice, let it sit covered for 5 more minutes. Fluff with fork and voila! Perfect!

7. Variations, depending on what I'm making, I substitute water for coconut milk, or chicken broth and add butter, herbs, or whatever else I feel like depending on the recipe. Happy cooking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment