Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie. Yes you can!

Chicken pot pie intimidates me. I've only ever had the frozen ones but was told it was possible to make it from scratch. While a bit time consuming (45 min. prep and 45 min. bake time) it makes a lot of food, freezes well and is sooo delicious. This is the best rated recipe I could find online. With my modifications it is perfect.

Ingredients:
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup chopped carrots
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 lb chicken cut into 1 inch cubes
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
2/3 - 1 cup milk (I am listing about a 1/4 cup of both broth and milk than the recipe calls for because several reviews said it was a bit dry. if you prefer dry, feel free to reduce the liquid)
1/4 tsp. each of salt and pepper
1/4 tsp. celery seed (although I used garlic powder)
I also added a few shakes of poultry seasoning
1 package store bought pie dough (because who wants to make pie dough from scratch - not I)
Egg whites slightly beaten (Optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a big pot combine all veggies EXCEPT the onions and fill with water just to cover (throw in a couple boullion cubes for good measure if you have them) and boil for 15 minutes, then drain water and set aside. The original recipe says to put the cubed chicken in and cook that with the veggies but I found this made for dry chicken so I suggest while the veggies boil to saute the chicken in a bit of olive oil then cut it into cubes and set aside.
When the oven is preheated, put the pie crust in the greased bottom of either a pie dish or a 9x13 dish (if you do that you'll have to slightly shape the pie dough into a square - i did it, it's possible) and brush with egg white then bake it for 5 minutes - another step I added so the bottom crust wouldn't get soggy so feel free to skip this)
In a saucepan melt the butter over medium high heat and saute the onions in it until they are translucent. Add the flour and stir until well combined then slowly add the broth and milk and stir until smooth then add salt, pepper, garlic poweder/celery seed and poultry seasoning if you wish)
Pour the veggies and chicken in the dish and then pour the sauce over that. Put the other pie crust on top and poke holes to vent. Brush with egg white to turn the crust a lovely brown and bake for 40-45 minutes until the crust is said shade of lovely brown.
Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

I almost ate the whole pan. Not really, but I wanted to.

0 comments:

Post a Comment