Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Chicken Cordon Bleu Lite! by Nikki

I got this recipe out of a Clean Living recipe book. It's an au naturale and healthy take on Cordon Bleu and it is amazing, super easy and awesome.  I served it with a spinach salad and ciabatta bread.

What you need:
1 Chicken breast per person
Nitrate free, low fat deli ham
1 wedge laughing cow light swiss cheese per chicken breast
Wheat bread crumbs (I make my own by toasting the heels of my bread loaves in the toaster and then blending them up in my magic bullet)
paprika
toothpicks
(buttermilk - optional)

Sauce:
1/2 c. fat free plain Greek Yogurt
1 tbsp. dijon mustard
1/2 tsp buttermilk
1/2 tsp honey
Some chopped chives if you are feeling fancy

What you do:
I have taken to soaking my chicken in buttermilk for the day.  It makes the chicken so moist and very tender.  Regular milk works well too but buttermilk is best and since the recipe calls for it, I just bought a little half pint and poured all but a tsp. in a ziploc bag and let the chicken sit in it while I was at work.  
Anyway, Preheat oven to 400 Degrees.
Rinse chicken breasts and pound out to 1/4 inch thickness. 
Spread laughing cow cheese wedge over chicken 
put a slice of ham on the cheese
Roll up and secure with a toothpick
Roll each breast in the bread crumbs and sprinkle with paprika
Bake 25 to 30 minutes 

While it's baking, mix the ingredients of the sauce together...and do the dishes. You'll be glad you did later, I promise.  
Once it's done, you can spoon the sauce over the top or serve it on the side for dippin.  Personally, I think the chicken is perfect on its own but the Mr. loves the sauce so there you go.  Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment